Healthy Delicious Soups, Many Vegan & Vegetarian Friendly Nutritional Ingredient Information, Ease of Preparation

Monday, November 30, 2009

Thai Coconut Milk Soup


Thai Coconut Milk Soup
This soup is easy and if you like coconut you will love it!
Fat lovers don't fear here is good news, and a great magazine by the way, read and get happy!

Follow me to the next page for the recipe:

Thai Coconut Milk Soup
Almost every soup I make starts with a mixture of vegetables;
which could be chopped onions, shallots and celery,
then I sweat (add a pinch of salt) them in a soup pot .
You can also add garlic, but I don't always use it
and didn't in this delicate coconut soup. In a tomato soup I
would add garlic, lots, or a minestrone,
or the miso is nice with garlic.
If I am creating a vegan soup I add other veggies too like carrot
or green peppers. Just think about the flavors and how what you use
as your stock base will enhance your main ingredient.
Recipe:
2 Tbs Coconut oil
1/2 Chopped onion
1 stalk diced celery
1 green pepper
pinch of sea salt
Sweat these about 5-10 minutes with lid on pot
Add 6 cups water
1 Tbs turmeric
pinch of cayenne 
2 Tbs Tamari soy sauce (or naturally brewed soy sauce)
Now if you can get it add a pinch of Thai Curry Powder
a lemon grass stalk and a kaffir lime leaf
Tip (you can use a regular lime juice and/or lime zest)
saffron if you have some
Let this simmer for 15 to 20 minutes
fish out the lemon grass stalks and anything else unchewable.
I added fresh asparagus, diced red peppers and sliced mushrooms
peas would be nice, carrots, whatever you like.
Stir in 1 can unsweetened coconut milk
and more salt to taste as well as a teaspoon of natural sugar
If you like fish sauce (traditional flavoring for this soup),
by no means don't let me stop you.
The first time I tasted fish sauce the aroma intrigued me
for hours, then I figured it out "stinky socks."
Anyway enjoy this is a vegan recipe,
you can use chicken broth if you want,
but really if you use enough vegetables
and compound the seasoning you won't miss the meat.
Oh yes the flowers are Hyacinth Bean flowers I grew in my yard
they are more beautiful than productive, and according to the
seed purveyors all parts are edible;
Eating flowers, its good to dazzle the eyes and feed the soul.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers